The Mocksville Fire Department is actively seeking candidates to join our team. The person filling this position performs firefighting, emergency medical services, and other emergency response duties, as well as other tasks relevant to the Mocksville Fire Department mission.
- Response to calls from the public for assistance involving a wide variety of situations; all aspects of fire suppression and fire rescue, emergency medical care of the sick or injured, provision of specialized rescue service, including confined space rescue, trench rescue, rope rescue, HAZMAT, and driving/operating emergency and non-emergency vehicles
- Effective communication with patients and physicians in emergency medical care situations.
- Operation of various large and small hand and machine-operated tools (hydraulic and mechanical), including, but not limited to: hydraulic extrication tools, axes, prying tools, pike poles, trench rescue shoring jacks, emergency medical care equipment, confined space rescue tripod and winches, hazardous materials spill control devices, ventilation fans, chain saws, and circular saws
- Inspection and maintenance of departmental equipment.
- Various physically-demanding tasks related to firefighting, rescue, and response to requests for assistance requiring, but not limited to: lifting of heavy objects or persons, forcing entry, carrying heavy firefighting equipment, attacking fires by dragging and controlling heavy water-filled fire hoses, dragging or carrying incapacitated persons, working in full firefighting and hazardous materials protective equipment and self-contained breathing apparatus, climbing ladders while carrying equipment, overhaul of structures by pulling building components apart, working in zero-visibility in hot and smoky environments while wearing heavy and constrictive protective equipment, working in water while wearing flotation protective equipment.
- Participation in mandatory medical monitoring program and physical fitness program to assure ability to complete various physically-demanding tasks.
- Ability to take citizen groups on tours of fire stations and explain basic function of various pieces of equipment.
- Participation on hazardous materials response team.
- Knowledge of hazardous materials response and control techniques.
- Basic maintenance activities related to upkeep of stations and grounds, including but not limited to: painting of walls and ceilings, sweeping and mopping, washing walls, shoveling snow, and washing windows.
- Effective verbal and written communications with the public and coworkers
- Answer department phones effectively and professionally. Take down essential information to send appropriate department resources and or transfer calls into department voice mail.
- Provision of basic public education programs for adults and children, including but not limited to talks on fire reaction behavior, fire safety measures, use of fire extinguishers, and fire prevention techniques.
- Other related duties assigned by an officer of the department
- Counseling of less experienced firefighters
Education: High School graduate or equivalency, preferred is an Associate or Bachelor Degree in Fire/EMS related field
Certifications/Licenses: NC State Firefighter Certification, NC EMT-B Certification
Other Requirements: Ability to pass job-related written test and board, ability to pass job-related medical exam(s), ability to pass drug test, above-average written and verbal communication skills, ability to achieve certification as Driver Operator (Pumper and Aerial Apparatus)
Download the StateApplication and then e-mail it to firstname.lastname@example.org